Monday, April 29, 2013

What do I do?!?

Well I know this isn't the biggest deal in the world, but I am REALLY stressing about it :(

Tomorrow is our point of no return day for flooring, cabinets, etc.  Originally we went with Maple Cognac cabinets in the kitchen with Natural Oak hardwood floors (the very lightest wood).  I am not a light wood kind of person...every "wood" type product I own in my house is a darker espresso or cherry wood.  I like the warmer, richer colors...what am I doing with a light wood floor?! 

I can tell you...we liked the Maple Cognac cabinets, and I wanted floors that were a little more contrasting than same tone as the cabinets.  So we felt the only possibility with those cabinets were the really light wood.  This decision has been haunting me - because really I am not a light wood person.  I took my mother to Home Depot to look at the flooring options by Bruce (who also makes the wood flooring at the Ryan selection center).  I like the Gunstock color...it is a darker (but not dark) caramel color...but it is too matchy with the Maple Cognac.  So now I am trying to decide between the Wyoming Cherry Spice and the Wyoming Cherry Bordeaux.  I truly CANNOT decide.  Husband is not helping much because he would prefer the dark wood distressed floors...but I just can't do those.

I know whatever we get will be beautiful, really.  But right now, when my final decision has to be in by TOMORROW...I just cannot make up my mind!!

10 comments:

  1. If you get the Wyoming series it also includes having solid wood (rather than veneer center panels) for the doors. The santa cecilia looks nice with the cherry spice and cherry bordeaux. Personally, I think the spice goes with each santa cecilia variation better than the bordeaux (unless you're lucky and can pick out your slab). The cherry spice will still be dark enough to provide contrast with lighter floors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blog has cherry spice cabinets with gunstock and santa cecilia:
      http://robert-buildingournewryanhome.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the blog! I was having a hard time finding pictures of the cherry spice or the Bordeaux with the gunstock. The model in my community has cherry spice with Santa Cecilia, but different floors. I guess I will have to sleep on it :)

      Delete
  2. We went with the Cherry Bordeaux cabinets, Santa Cecilia granite and the Armstrong Maple "Toasted Almond" hardwood floors. The harwood is a level D upgrade but hubby and I had an issue with the floor/cabinet combo when we had chosen the Cherry Spice cabinets with the brown Saddle hardwood. They were too matchy-smatchy for us so we ended up upgrading the flooring. Good luck! It's tough when you reach those last days to make changes :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Cherry Bordeaux...and it was such a hard decision. I ended up asking my 5 & 2 yr olds, and they both said to go with the light cabinets (Wyoming Cherry Spice) - so that's what I did! :)

      Delete
  3. My parents have the natural oak floors in their house, and while it is not something I would have chosen, they are actually really lovely and bright and warm. But they seem to fade quickly in the direct sunlight. They blend nicely with cherry cabinets and black granite.

    If you are having significant second thoughts, and not "Hmmm, I wonder if I will still like that..." but real panic over it, change it. You can't go wrong with the Gunstock. It seems to go with nearly everything and will age beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re-read your post-- are you thinking about changing your floors and your cabinets? Not sure I offered any real help if Gunstock isn't going with your cabinets, and you can't change those! :(

      Delete
    2. We did decide to change the floors first, and we went with Gunstock. I think it will be much more doable for me!

      Delete
  4. I hated the 14 day change period. It was stressful and you go over each one of the options again and again to make sure it is exactly what you want. Then, the day passes and you say "Ahhhh! That's better...oh, wait. Did I make the right choice? Was there something that I missed?" Don't worry, it too shall pass. Make the choices that are exactly right for you. You will be staring at the floors everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi 2013Ravenna,
    I just found your blog!! Welcome to the RH Blog Land! It is such an awesome place to share these things with folks that understand!! lol

    I am happy to hear you made the choice get the wood that sings to your heart. You brought back many memories of the selection process and it was agonizing to say the least because you don't want to feel like you messed up. However, it's going to look very pretty once you see it all put together. In a very strange way, it works out fine. Can't wait to see it all complete.

    We built a Rome in Maryland! Feel free to join our site! ricknadase.blogspot.com I look forward to following your journey!!

    HAPPY BUILDING!

    ReplyDelete