Monday, April 8, 2013

Getting a little frustrated

So when we went to sign our new contract last week, I mentioned to our SR the few minor things that we were changing (flood lights, ice maker kit, etc.) did not add up to the new contract price.  I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it until I brought it home and compared the new and old contracts side by side...well turns out it was the price of the morning room.  Our old contract we were being charged $3000 less than the new contract...WHAT?!?!  Why is that? (more on that later)

Also - right before we went to sign our new contract SR advised that a concrete driveway is not included (it was included on the first lot because the developer for the community required it).  We asked how much it would be if RH did the concrete for us - we don't particularly want an asphalt driveway.  SR mentioned maybe RH would be willing to split the cost since it was included on previous contract.

Today SR gets back to me on concrete driveway - for RH to do it - $3495.  I reply to her email asking what the status is of RH splitting the cost, and ask why are we being charged $3000 more on this lot for morning room?  SR then calls me to explain.  Our initial cost estimate did not include a finished basement so SR chose option of "morning room with unfinished basement."  When we added the finished basement, she never updated the morning room selection to "morning room with finished basement."  She advised if the initial contract was sent to corporate to be ratified, they would have kicked it back because she had the wrong selection.  Ok - I get it, people make mistakes - but don't let me have to find this $3000 price discrepancy on my own!  Tell me about it when we come to sign our new contract instead of me finding it after the fact.  She said that she is going to see if we can opt to have the space underneath the morning room in the basement not finished.  Have it walled off with a door and use it as storage - ok we'll see how much that changes the price.  
Back to the concrete - I asked her what the deal is with it, and she pretty much told me that they have done so much for us so far to accommodate for moving lots, that nothing is probably going to happen with RH splitting the cost.  UGH!  Why would you mention it in the first place then??  And why didn't you tell me that the concrete driveway wasn't included until a minute before I sign on the dotted line?  

I understand there are limited things that are in SR control...but I am getting frustrated because we agreed to go to this less desirable (for us) neighborhood for the SAME contract, and now we have to pay an additional $6495 for the SAME contract? 

Needless to say 2 existing houses came on the market in neighbors that we really like - for a lot less money than we will be paying for this house :(

We are going to the selection center again on Wednesday to pick our granite for our kitchen.  Still nothing official from NVR or no ratified contract in the mail.  Hopefully after a visit to the selection center I will get a little excited again, but right now I am feeling a little frustrated with this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment